Friday, February 25, 2011

Olek Does a Banksy Tribute


New York based Olek stiched a rooftop tribute to Banksy's Balloon Girl. Click the jump for more

The BoweryBoogie received an email from Olek saying that she did this piece as a nod to Banksy. Here are her words

After crocheting the first readymade, I decided to pay homage to Marcel Duchamp and so I crocheted the bike wheel on the stool. Recently, I was referred to as a street artist by the press and public. I wanted to pay my respect to one of the most iconic figures of the street art movement. I am placing a series of The girl with the balloons image coinciding with the Oscars as support for Banksy’s movie. What is authentic? Did he intend to do a mockery of the art world by being a Mr. BW?


Very cool how this street artist would compliment another street artist instead of capping it.

On a side note, our friend G has been stiched up by Olek himself. Check it out!

3 comments:

  1. that's awesome...she is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out.

    The Banksy updates you've been providing have been making my day!

    ReplyDelete